Thank you so much for your interest in employment opportunities with Our State. Our State magazine is front porches, back roads, and barbecue. We’re saltwater breezes and cool mountain air. We have something special here, and our readers love us — they are passionate and loyal (with an 81% renewal rate), and they invite us into their homes every month. We are one of the fastest-growing and most successful magazines in the South. Our culture is fun, relaxed, and casual, and we offer a no-walls environment that encourages creative freedom and collaboration.
Our State is searching for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to serve as Visibility Director. As the leader of the marketing team, the Visibility Director will successfully develop and execute media strategies for maximum positive publicity for the Our State brand. He/she will also manage an event coordinator, a marketing associate and a small group of part-time event workers throughout the state.
- Implement events and public relations campaigns to ensure the high visibility and continued growth of Our State
- Use both traditional and innovative approaches to public relations and special events
- Develop and execute strategic public relations efforts to promote both the magazine and events to achieve significant increases in brand awareness and consumer engagement
- Develop partnerships and relationships with organizations, businesses, and key media outlets around the state to establish opportunities to promote and showcase the Our State brand
- Manage the event coordinator to develop special events, including festival appearances, boutique events, sponsorship events, premier events, etc
- Oversee the event staff team to assist with selection, training, and event preparation
- Understand, articulate and advocate the Our State brand to media, consumers, and community
- Develop compelling story angles to promote monthly issue of the magazine
- Write clear and compelling press releases for monthly issues, online, and live marketing programs/events, and for other Our State efforts
- Actively identify appropriate local, regional, and national outlets to pitch stories and events to gain Our State recognition
- Contribute to Our State social media outlets
- Oversee coordination of television appearances and interviews
- Maintain effective working relationship and open communication with editorial, sales, circulation, digital, store, and production departments
Skills & Qualifications:
- Must have high energy level, an outgoing personality, and a sense of urgency
- Exceptional writing and editing skills
- Ideal candidate will have an established network of media and community contacts
- Must display a passion for North Carolina and Our State
- Experience and comfort in public speaking
- Availability to work some weekends and evenings throughout the year
- Ability and desire to travel the state
- Strong organizational and time management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism, or marketing
- Minimum of 7 years in marketing, public relations, and/or community relations or related field
Send resume to Human Resources, PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404 or email to email@example.com.
Our State magazine, a 80-year-old publication, located in Greensboro, N.C., is a progressive company which offers a stimulating working environment for a successful, self-motivated sales professional. We are looking for an enthusiastic and outgoing self-starter, who is tenacious and resilient, with at least 3 years of sales experience and a passion for North Carolina. Recent track record of media sales is a big plus, as are relationships within the North Carolina area.
Responsibilities will include prospecting, developing persuasive pitches, securing and managing new business, as well as meeting and exceeding sales quotas. Strong work ethic with exceptional written and verbal communication skills a must. Ability to work within a professional, team-oriented environment. Send resume to Human Resources, PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our State offers internships during fall, spring, and summer semesters.
Internships positions are for 10 hours a week, unpaid, and offer opportunity for experience in several areas: research, proofing, writing, and editing. Interns also help with fact-checking, indexing, assembling copy for our website, and other general duties. Our State interns work closely with the editorial team and have the opportunity to produce portfolio-worthy clips.
We prefer students who are pursuing a degree in journalism or English. Experience working on a student or local publication is a huge plus.
Students interested in applying for an internship should send a cover letter, resume, and writing samples to the Editorial Department email@example.com or P.O. Box 4552, Greensboro, N.C. 27404. Please list “INTERNSHIP” in the subject line of any email communication.
This is an ongoing listing.
Our State Digital is continually seeking interns to support the Web team by writing, researching, and publishing shareable stories. The digital internship is part-time, unpaid, and interns must be eligible to receive school credit.
Interns will be working directly for ourstate.com and Our State’s smartphone app, TRAVEL NORTH CAROLINA, and candidates should have experience with online publishing and a familiarity with HTML and Photoshop.
We prefer students who are pursuing a degree in journalism, English, or communication studies. Experience working on the digital side of a student or local publication is a huge plus. Candidates must be able to work in our office in Greensboro, N.C.
All submitted filenames should include your first and last name. The most promising candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for the Our State digital internship, e-mail a cover letter, resume, and links to writing samples (mandatory) to Andy Busam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an ongoing listing.