Frozen (or fresh, when in season) blackberries make this a fruity variation of traditional Sugar Cream Pie.
Blackberry Cream Pie
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 cup thawed and drained frozen blackberries or 1 cup of washed and patted-dry fresh blackberries
- whipped cream topping (optional)
Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Stir a little of the mixture into egg yolks. Next, blend egg yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in butter and vanilla extract. Cool stirring occasionally. Fold in berries after pie mixture has cooled.
Pour into baked pie shell. Chill for 2 hours. Top with whipped topping if desired. Garnish with berries.
Variations of this recipe:
This article and recipes by Erica Derr first appeared in the April 2005 issue of