Enjoy the delicious flavors of a B.L.T. in this pasta salad from Saint James United Methodist Cooks.
B.L.T. Pasta Salad
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound thick-sliced bacon, diced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 cups grape tomatoes, halved
Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling, salted water, according to package instructions. Transfer pasta to a bowl of ice water; drain well. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons bacon drippings; set aside to cool. Whisk together mayonnaise, reserved drippings, shallots, basil, vinegar, and sugar in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Stir in pasta, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, and bacon; toss to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper. Yields 20 servings.