Celebrate the launch of a new section in the magazine. Take the barbecue quiz, register to win great prizes, and find bonus barbecue recipes!
Beginning in January, Our State launches a new section in the magazine. Responding to the overwhelming conversation among our readers about our September story “Carolina ‘Cue,” we will now incorporate barbecue into each and every issue of Our State! This special section is devoted to the search for the people, places, and plates behind our favorite tradition. To kick off this new section, take moment to play around, read the stories and take our special barbecue quiz. Have a favorite location we should cover in our “Carolina ‘Cue” series? Point us in the direction of perfect barbecue in the comments section below.
Each month, one barbecue restaurant is featured in the magazine. We’ll update this list with each new issue. Click the link to read the story.
- Grady’s Barbecue, January 2013. Eating barbecue at this Dudley restaurant is simple, but running the place requires some sacrifices.
- Country Barbeque, February 2013. Cars whiz by, traffic lights blink, but this restaurant on Wendover Avenue maintains an uninterrupted consistency that sets it apart.
- Hillsborough BBQ Company, March 2013. The stained glass, hardwood floors, and full bar make this restaurant look upscale, but the flavor of the barbecue is smoky and down-home.
Created just for this occasion by Our State quiz master, Alan Hodge, this new quiz will test your barbecue brilliance, your sauce savvy, and just how much you know about North Carolina’s favorite food. Click here to take the quiz.
Bonus Barbecue Recipes
- Carolina BBQ Roll
- Basic Barbecue Dipping Sauce
- Apple Barbecue Pork Chops
- Fantastic Ribs
- BBQ Chicken Burgers with Easy Slaw
- Barbecued Spare Ribs
Download the TRAVEL NORTH CAROLINA App
Want the original Kings of Barbecue tour? Download the TRAVEL NORTH CAROLINA app, powered by Our State, and you’ll have it as you travel the state. As new stories run in the Carolina ‘Cue section, we’ll add them to the tour. The app is free to download and is available for iPhones and Android devices. Click here to download.