Enjoy an autumn spin on the classic dinner roll with this sweet recipe.
Sweet Potato Rolls
- ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon milk (70-90 degrees Fahrenheit)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- Bake sweet potato until done at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool, peel & mash. Measure out ½ cup for 1 batch or 1 cup for 2 batches.
- In bowl, combine flour, water, milk, honey & yeast. Whisk for 2 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down sides & cover.
- 1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon instant yeast
- 4 teaspoon butter (soft)
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk flour & yeast in separate bowl. Sprinkle flour mix over sponge & cover tightly. Ferment at room temperature for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- In separate bowl combine butter & mashed sweet potato. Mix into bowl with flour & sponge until flour moistens & forms dough. Scrape down sides, cover & rest for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle salt over dough. Knead dough for 7-10 minutes until dough is smooth, shiny & tacky. Scrape down sides with oiled spatula.
- Transfter to greased Cambro with lid. Let dough rise 1.5-2 hours till it doubles in size. Grease top of dough.
- Remove dough from container. Gently give 2 business letter fold. Return it to container & let it rise for 1.5-2 hours till it doubles again. Grease top of dough.
- Turn dough on counter into desired shapes. Cover loosely with oiled plastic. Let it rise again for 1.5-2 hours.
- Heat baking sheet in oven for 1 hour at 475 degrees. Then place dough on heated sheet in oven with ½ cup ice cubes in another pan in oven. Bake 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown (internal temperature around 190 degrees). Rotate pans halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven. Glaze with melted butter. Allow to cool for one hour.
This recipe was provided by Chef Scott Carter from Goat Lady Dairy Farm and first appeared in Our State’s October 2012 Recipe Newsletter.