Thank you so much for your interest in employment opportunities with Our State. Our State magazine is front porches, back roads, and barbecue. We’re saltwater breezes and cool mountain air. We have something special here, and our readers love us — they are passionate and loyal (with an 81% renewal rate), and they invite us into their homes every month. We are one of the fastest-growing and most successful magazines in the South. Our culture is fun, relaxed, and casual, and we offer a no-walls environment that encourages creative freedom and collaboration.
Part‐Time Retail Assistant
Our State magazine seeks a Part‐Time Retail Assistant for the Our State Store, our online and catalog‐based retail division that celebrates North Carolina‐made and ‐inspired goods. We seek an enthusiastic individual with exemplary customer service skills, an interest in retail sales, e‐commerce, and marketing, and proficiencies with computers, social media, and writing.
Our State is an award‐winning publication featuring North Carolina travel, history, and culture. We have something special here, and our readers love us – they are passionate and loyal. Located in Greensboro, we are one of the fastest‐growing and most successful magazines in the South. Our culture here is fun, relaxed and casual and we offer an environment that encourages creative freedom and collaboration.
In this part‐time position, you will:
Customer Service & Store Administration
- Answer phone calls and emails and take orders from customers
- Provide exceptional service to all customers by anticipating their needs and practicing empathy, patience, and good listening
- Take initiative to make decisions based on our customer service standards
- Input orders and data from various sales sources
- Assist with sales and accounting reports
- Provide efficient and professional administrative support to the rest of the Store team
- Assist with handling customer service issues, returns, exchanges, etc.
- Make changes to orders and communicate with our fulfillment warehouse
- Input data into warehouse management software system
Merchandise & Inventory
- Package merchandise and coordinate with our third‐party fulfillment partner to ensure inventory is properly managed
- Assist with maintaining product information in our e‐commerce platform
Social Media & Marketing
- Assist with the promotion of Our State Store on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter Special Events
- Work at occasional special events where you will assist with set‐up and interact face‐to‐face with customers
To succeed in this role, you should be:
- Flexible in availability
- Able to work in a fast‐paced environment during the holiday season
- A great verbal and written communicator
- Able to multi‐task
- Patient and passionate about providing great customer service
- Highly organized with superb attention to detail
- A motivated self‐starter with experience in customer service, or a related field
- Passionate about North Carolina and supporting locally‐made goods
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and the Mac operating system, with basic knowledge of HTML
Check out Our State Store at ourstatestore.com. Then send your resume and cover letter explaining why you’re a good fit to email@example.com or Human Resources, Attn: Our State Store, PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404.
Subscriber Acquisition Coordinator
Our State magazine seeks a Subscriber Acquisition Coordinator to develop and execute an evolving marketing strategy to increase subscription sales, consumer engagement, and subscriber retention. The ideal candidate will create short- and long-term marketing strategies, develop copy and creative, and work closely with the Circulation Manager, as well as the marketing and digital departments as it pertains to subscriber growth.
The Subscriber Acquisition Coordinator will be data- and action-driven, and will promote Our State to targeted individuals, organizations, and corporations throughout North Carolina through print, digital, and in-person marketing. The right candidate will manage the recruitment of new subscribers as well as ensure the renewals of existing customers in order to meet monthly and annual goals.
Our State is an award-winning publication featuring North Carolina travel, history, and culture. We have something special here, and our readers love us – they are passionate and loyal. Located in Greensboro, we are one of the fastest-growing and most successful magazines in the South. Our culture here is fun, relaxed and casual, and we offer an environment that encourages creative freedom and collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or a related field
- Minimum of two years professional experience in marketing and communications. Preference given to candidates with experience in consumer marketing, retention marketing, digital marketing, and/or subscription management
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, as well as presentation skills
- Knowledge of direct marketing and subscription programs, special offer, and loyalty strategies
- Strong critical thinker with the ability to translate data into actions
- Self-motivated, detail- and results-oriented mindset
To apply for this position, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or Human Resources, PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404.
Do you have sales experience? Are you looking for more – growth, training, and income? Our State is looking for two experienced sales reps. You will receive professional training working in our sales department that, for the right candidate, will lead to a lucrative career in print and digital advertising sales.
During your onboarding, you will learn all about Our State and what makes our top reps so successful. You will prepare sales presentations, attend client meetings, curate new sales leads, and increase sales of existing accounts. This is a unique opportunity for a highly productive, sales-minded individual to receive mentorship in the entire sales process, from lead generation to closing the sale.
Our State magazine is an award-winning publication featuring North Carolina travel, history, and culture. Located in Greensboro, Our State is a progressive, fast-paced company that offers a dynamic working environment where you will be part of one of the most prestigious and fastest-growing magazines in the South. Our company culture is fun, casual, highly creative, and collaborative.
We are looking for someone with the ability to learn quickly, a strong sense of urgency, a high level of energy, and analytical and problem-solving skills. The right candidate will have a willingness and confidence to contact customers, excellent customer service and organizational skills, and the ability to create custom advertising packages that address the client’s needs and their budget.
You must be technically savvy and proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook and a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
If you would like to be considered, send cover letter and résumé to email@example.com or Human Resources, Attn: Account Associate, PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404.
Freelance Graphic Artist
Our State is seeking a freelance graphic artist to assist with design work on an ongoing, as needed basis. Candidate must be available to work in our Greensboro office. Responsibilities include ad design, as well as design of marketing, circulation, and store collateral materials. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and preparing files for print is required.
Please submit resume and samples of your work (or link to portfolio) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an ongoing listing.
Our State Digital is continually seeking interns to support the Web team. Two tracks are available for interns, including writing and researching or design and development. In both programs, the goal is to create compelling and shareable stories for a digital audience. The digital internship is part-time, unpaid, and interns must be eligible to receive school credit.
We prefer students who are pursuing a degree in journalism, English, communication studies, interactive design, or website development. Experience working on the digital side of a student or local publication is a plus. Candidates must be able to work in our office in Greensboro.
All submitted filenames should include your first and last name. The most promising candidates will be contacted for an interview.
To apply for the Our State digital internship, send a cover letter, resume/portfolio, and links to writing samples or past projects to Andy Busam at email@example.com.
This is an ongoing listing.
Our State offers internships during fall, spring, and summer semesters.
Internships positions are for 10 hours a week, unpaid, and offer opportunity for experience in several areas: research, proofing, writing, and editing. Interns also help with fact-checking, indexing, assembling copy for our website, and other general duties. Our State interns work closely with the editorial team and have the opportunity to produce portfolio-worthy clips.
We prefer students who are pursuing a degree in journalism or English. Experience working on a student or local publication is a huge plus.
Students interested in applying for an internship should send a cover letter, resume, writing samples, and a story pitch to the Editorial Department firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 4552, Greensboro, NC 27404. Please list “INTERNSHIP” in the subject line of any email communication.
Deadlines for applying: for fall, June 15; for spring, November 15; for summer, March 15.
This is an ongoing listing.