Pecan Praline Cream Pie
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- 1 cup toasted and salted pecans
- 1 toffee bar, crushed and crumbled
- whipped cream cream topping (optional)
Mix brown sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour in a sauce pan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Stir a little of the mixture into egg yolks. Next, blend egg yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in butter and vanilla extract. Cool, stirring occasionally. Add pecans and crushed and crumbled toffee bar into the bottom of the pie shell.
Pour mixture into baked pie shell. Chill for hours. Top with whipped topping if desired.
Variations of this recipe:
This article and recipes by Erica Derr first appeared in the April 2005 issue of Our State.