Since 1933, Our State: Celebrating North Carolina has been the most comprehensive source of information on the people, places, culture, and history of North Carolina. The magazine’s circulation is more than 160,000, 87 percent of which is in-state. We accept well-written, high-quality articles on subjects of interest to those who live in, visit, or simply love the Tar Heel state. Read about upcoming editorial themes in this year’s editorial calendar.
Approach and subject matter
- The editorial focus of Our State is life in North Carolina. We buy nonfiction articles that highlight North Carolina history, personalities, travel, arts and crafts, nature, adventure, culture, and nostalgia.
- We also expect any sidebars, captions, lists, and supplemental material (such as photos) to be considered part of the story.
- We expect thoroughly researched, original, literary-quality work.
- Our average article length is about 1,500 words.
- If you’d like to write an article for Our State, we ask that you send 1-2 paragraphs on each story query to email@example.com or the address listed below. We will respond within 6-8 weeks.
- Please submit queries in written form; a resume and writing samples may be requested with first-time queries.
- Due to the volume of queries and “on spec” stories we receive, we cannot return unsolicited materials. Please do not send original copies.
- Once an assigned article has been completed, we prefer to receive articles by email, sent to the email address of the assigning editor. Microsoft Word documents or plain text files preferred.
- Please list any specific books or reference materials when you submit your article. If there is other fact-checking information that you believe would be useful to us, feel free to make note of it with your article.
Copyright, usage, and payment
- Unless otherwise indicated, Our State purchases the following rights to the work: (1) all First North American Serial Rights; (2) exclusive publication rights for 30 days after the newsstand off-sale date of the issue in which the work is published. Additionally, Our State retains exclusive rights to the edited form of the work, all or in part, for promotional, reprint, or electronic (digital) use. Any editorial changes will be made at the sole discretion of the editors.
- Payment for articles is made on publication. Fees will be agreed upon at the time a story is assigned. Payment for published articles is made during the third week of the month in which the article appears.
- We elect not to pay kill fees for unsolicited articles. Kill fees may or may not be paid for assigned stories that are not used, at the discretion of the editor.
- Stories may be archived online, in their edited form, at www.ourstate.com.
- Stories may be used by UNC-TV as the idea for a segment on “Our State,” the TV show, and writers will be listed in the show credits for having written the original article.
- All assignments (text and accompanying artwork, if any) are due to us by noon of the date assigned by the editor.
- Sample copies of Our State are $7 each. For a copy, please contact the circulation department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each writer will receive one complimentary copy of the issue in which the article is published. These will be the only editorial comp issues distributed by us.
Editor, Our State
P.O. Box 4552
Greensboro, N.C. 27404
Professional Photography Assignments
The stunning photography in Our State magazine is obtained by assignment only. Assignments are made by Jason Chenier, Art Director, and are based on the photography needs of each issue of the magazine.
If you are a professional photographer and are interested in working with Our State, please email Jason Chenier for more information and include a link to your website.