Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1½ cups sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (melted in a double boiler)
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 9-inch pie crust, baked and cooled
- whipped cream topping (optional)
Mix sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour in a saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat. Stir a little of the mixture into egg yolks. Next, blend egg yolk mixture into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Blend in butter and vanilla extract. Add melted chocolate chips. Cool, stirring occasionally.
Pour into baked pie shell. Chill for 2 hours. Top with whipped topping if desired.
Variations of this recipe:
This article and recipes by Erica Derr first appeared in the April 2005 issue of Our State.