White Bean & Chicken Soup
- 2 cups (dry) navy or northern beans
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 ½ cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 3 cans (14.5oz each) chicken broth (substitute fresh stock if available)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash and sort the beans, then soak them overnight.
Melt the butter or margarine in a non-stick skillet. Add the carrots, celery, and onion and sauté until onion begins to turn translucent. Transfer vegetables to a Crock-Pot. Add the chicken, beans, bay leaf, and thyme. Stir to mix, then add the chicken broth. Turn Crock-Pot to low setting and allow soup to simmer for 8 to 10 hours. Remove the bay leaf and serve. It’s even better the second day.
This recipe first appeared in Our State in January 2001.