24-Hour Fruit Salad
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup canned milk or light whipping cream
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup light whipping cream
- 2 cups oranges (cut in pieces)
- 2 cups pitted sour cherries
- 2 cups pineapple bits
- 2 cups canned Mandarin orange slices
- 2 cups small marshmallows
- 2 cups nuts
Using a mixing bowl, beat eggs; add sugar. Add 1/4 cup canned milk or light whipping cream. Add lemon juice. Cook in a double boiler over low heat. Stir continuously until thick, then let cool. Add 1 cup light whipping cream and mix well. Add oranges, cherries, pineapple, Mandarin orange slices, marshmallows, and nuts. Stir well and chill in refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Stir once in a while during the 24 hours.
This cookbook was provided to Our StateRecipes and Remembrances: A Penderlea Homestead Collection. 2008. Recipe by Leland and Sarah Savage. To order cookbooks visit penderleahomesteadmuseum.org.