Dilly-Swiss Tomato Pie
Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 frozen deep-dish piecrust
3-4 large tomatoes, cut into ½-inch slices
1 teaspoon salt
Several turns of freshly ground black pepper
2-3 green onions, roughly chopped
1 cup mayonnaise (Duke’s preferred)
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
½ cup fresh dill, roughly chopped
½ cup French-fried onion topping
1. Place the tomato slices in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let tomatoes drain for about 20 to 30 minutes. Dry any surface moisture with a paper towel.
2. Preheat the oven to 350º. Prick the
bottom and sides of the piecrust with a fork. Bake for 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise and cheese. Fold in the chopped dill.
4. Layer the tomato slices in the piecrust. Season them with black pepper. Scatter with chopped green onions. Spread the mayonnaise and cheese mixture over the top of the tomatoes and onions.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the pie starts to brown. Scatter with fried onion topping, then bake for an additional
5 minutes. Let stand about 10 minutes. Slice and serve warm.