Apples, grapes, and toasted almonds add a delicious sweetness and crunch to this chicken salad from Hopewell Heritage Cookbook.
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) chicken
- 2 cups celery, chopped
- ¾ to 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- ¼ cup pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons minced onion (optional)
- 1 apple, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted almonds or pecans
- ½ cup seedless grapes, halved
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Boil chicken; then bone and chop it. Combine chicken and celery. Combine remaining ingredients, stirring well. Add ingredients
to chicken mixture, and toss well. Cover, and chill. Yield: 6 to 8 servings.