BLT Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- about 1 pound prepared cornbread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ large red onion, thinly sliced
- buttermilk vinaigrette to taste
Preheat oven to 400°. Spread cornbread cubes out onto a baking sheet, toss carefully with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned and crisp. Let cool to room temperature while finishing salad. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook bacon pieces until brown and crispy, about 6 minutes. Transfer bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel, and let drain. When ready to serve, toss together romaine, tomatoes, red onion, cooked bacon, and prepared croutons. Drizzle with buttermilk vinaigrette; season with salt and pepper.
This recipe first appeared in the May 2009 issue of Our State.