- 8 ounces mixed dried fruits (apricots, cherries, pineapple, for example)
- 2½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted (available at health food stores, or if unavailable, just rinse the sweetened coconut under cold water, and pat dry before toasting)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
Chop dries fruit into ¼-inch pieces. In a medium bowl, mix together fruit, coconut, nuts, and sweetened condensed milk. Sift confectioners’ sugar onto a large plate. Firmly form ¾-inch balls of the mixture, and roll them through the sugar to coat completely. Makes 36 snowballs.
This recipe appeared in Southern Sweets: Down-home desserts from Our State magazine. Recipe by Erica Derr, Greensboro. This recipe also appeared in the February 2004 issue of Our State magazine.