- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and grated coarsely with a box grater
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- grated zest and juice of one orange
Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a large bowl, mix together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, and grated carrots; stir to combine. Gently stir in flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until just combined. Fill muffin cups, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until fully cooked.
Once cupcakes are cool, prepare frosting. In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, softened butter, powdered sugar, and orange zest and juice until smooth. Spread a generous amount onto each cupcake before serving. Makes 12 cupcakes.
This recipe appeared in the Southern Sweets Cookbook: Down-Home desserts from Our State magazine. Recipe by Charlotte Fekete, Birmingham, Alabama. This recipe also appeared in the February 2009 issue of Our State magazine.