Mushroom and Beef Stew
- 4 cups sliced assorted fresh mushrooms (button, cremini, shiitake, etc.)
- 3 medium carrots, cut into half-inch slices
- 1 cup sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 package long grain and wild rice mix with seasoning packet
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups beef broth
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker place mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, and rice mix with seasoning packet. Place meat on top of vegetables. Pour broth, sherry, and Worcestershire over all. Cover, and cook on low heat setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
This recipe first appeared in Our State magazine in March 2005.