Sweet Potato Pie
Makes 2 standard 9-inch pies.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, about 1¾ pounds
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1¼ cups light brown sugar
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (9-inch) prepared, unbaked pie shells
Preheat oven to 350º. Prick potatoes with a fork and roast on a baking sheet until tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out flesh into a large bowl (discard peels) and mash with melted butter and brown sugar. Stir in half-and-half, eggs, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Transfer mixture to the base of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, and process until smooth. Divide filling equally between pie shells and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until filling is set. Let cool and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
This article and recipes by Charlotte Fekete first appeared in the December 2009 issue of Our State.