Sandra Gutierrez was born in the United States, but she moved with her family to her parents’ homeland, Guatemala, when she was young. Growing up, her life was influenced by both countries. At an American school in Guatemala City, she learned to speak English. At home, she spoke Spanish.
Two-Corn Summer Salad
- 4 cups raw corn kernels, scraped off fresh cobs
- 2 ½ cups cooked whole hominy (or one 20-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups quartered grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup minced, seeded, and deveined jalapeños
- ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley (leaves and tender stems)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine the corn, hominy, tomatoes, jalapeños, and parsley.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, oil, and garlic until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the corn mixture and toss to coat.
Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes (or refrigerate for up to 8 hours) before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Yields 4-6 servings.