Mama’s Christmas Cornbread Dressing
- 4 cups breadcrumbs from leftover biscuits
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ⅓ cup butter
- 3 cups chicken or turkey broth
- 2 cakes (2 inches square) of cornbread
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- Small package of chicken livers, chopped
- Small package of chicken gizzards, chopped
- Poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper
Crumble breadcrumbs into large bowl. Sauté onions and celery in butter. Add vegetables to crumbs, along with 2 cups of broth. Crumble two cakes of cornbread and remaining broth into mixture. Add eggs, livers, gizzards, sage, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Add more broth if necessary. Mixture should be very soft to allow for loss of moisture during baking. Pour into greased pan, and bake at 350° until done.
The Scuffletown Cookbook can be purchased at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke bookstore, Cyna’s Jewelry in Pembroke, or by contacting Gloria Gates at email@example.com or (336) 578-1188.