1. Enjoy a Saturday morning at the centrally located Davidson Farmers Market before popping in shops and fun boutiques that dot Main Street. At Main Street Books, well-curated shelves remain sentries of small-town tradition. With floor-to-ceiling shelves stocked full of yarn spools, The Needlecraft Center is a knitter’s dream. And at The Village Store, you’ll find an eclectic array of home goods and novel gifts, which are somehow all things that you need, not want.
2. A lunch spot with a breezy outdoor patio, The Pickled Peach serves fresh soups, sandwiches, and salads that’ll leave you feeling satisfied the rest of the afternoon. Try the BLT that takes it up a notch with a fried green tomato.
3. Head to Lake Norman for an afternoon on the water. A new public beach opened earlier this year in Ramsey Creek Park, located bordering Cornelius. Enjoy walking trails, swimming, fishing, and more.
4. Soak in the splendor of university life and the afternoon sunshine by ambling around the lawns of Davidson College. Established in 1837, Davidson College has established itself as a premier liberal arts university — and happens to be where Golden State Warriors point guard Steph Curry played ball.
5. Since Chef Joe Kindred and his wife, sommelier Katy Kindred, opened their eponymous restaurant last year, it’s turned the quiet college town of Davidson into a culinary destination. Kindred has earned national recognition thanks to artful dishes like squid ink conchiglie and wagyu beef tartare, but the restaurant’s humble milk bread steals the show. Make your reservations early; tables book up quickly.