Historic Burgaw Depot is Pender County's Local Landmark
photograph by Millie Holloman Photography

Long before there was Burgaw, there was the Historic Burgaw Depot. Built in 1850 as a wood and water stop on the Wilmington to Weldon rail line, the depot predates the town by 29 years, making it the oldest standing train depot in North Carolina — and one of only two remaining antebellum depots (the other one is in Selma). Renovated in 2009, parts of the original structure can still be seen, including wooden doors and ceiling beams charred by an 1863 fire set by Union troops. Now, the depot is used for weddings, administrative offices, and a year-round transportation museum — a small piece of history making its way into our modern-day lives.

This story was published on

Katie King is the editorial assistant at Our State.

Mail Pin Share