I have always enjoyed fresh, juicy peaches during the summer months growing up in eastern North Carolina. A few years ago, I was brainstorming ideas for a Southern cocktail that I could make integrating peaches, and I came up with the idea for this peach tea cocktail. It has since become a favorite of mine and is fairly simple to make. I also like that it is easy to create a non-alcoholic version of this peach tea for the kids to enjoy since whiskey is added last to each glass.
I’ve always used Mason jars to serve this cocktail in because it takes me back to days at my grandparents’ house drinking my grandma’s tea. Adding fresh peaches to this cocktail along with a sprig of mint takes it over the top. I also use NC-based Defiant whiskey when preparing this peach tea cocktail.
I hope you enjoy this summery, Southern drink as much as I have over the past few years.
Spiked Peach Tea
Yield: 6 servings.
6 tea bags
1 quart water, divided
2 cups peach nectar
2 tablespoons sugar
6 shots Defiant whiskey
Fresh sliced peaches
1. Pour 1 cup of water into a small saucepan. Add tea bags and bring to a boil.
2. Once at a boil, remove saucepan from heat and cover. Steep for 5 minutes.
3. Pour tea and sugar into pitcher. Add remaining 3 cups of water and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Allow tea to cool in refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Add peach nectar to tea. Stir to combine.
5. Pour peach tea into a glass with ice, leaving enough room for 1 shot of whiskey. Add whiskey and stir.
6. Garnish with freshly sliced peaches and a mint sprig as desired.